Sunday, April 22, 2007

An apple a day...

Most people would not think a child eating an apple was worth posting about....I'm not one of them! Fighting eating issues for over 12 years makes you a little 'food freaky' . This all goes back to Mr M's first signs of Autism. Around the age of 15 months.....he quit eating all the foods accept one...Gerber 3rd foods Turkey and Bacon. He stopped drinking milk...and mostly wanted apple juice (still a favorite).

I suppose any parent would celebrate the idea that a young boy at 14 yrs would CHOOSE to eat an apple....but this is more significant than that!~

Mr M has eaten apples before (last 3 years or so) but recently I was informed *by him* that he LIKES eating apples....with the peel on! For about 3 years, I've cleaned, peeled and quartered apples so that he could eat them at home. This wasn't something he could take to school due to the fact that they would turn 'dark and mushy' by the time lunch hour would come (another sensory demon....visual).

Mr M announced proudly that he traded a recent food add....Chocolate Fudge Striped cookies for his friends apple. I was shocked....and amused. His story was adorable in its telling (if you know Mr M)....the fact that a friend asked to trade her apple. Mr M said yes....Mr M did NOT tell her ALL his cookies....and the poor girl got ONE cookie for her apple! LOL! I did speak to him about the 'fairness' rules of trading....he did admit he 'missed that one'.

I suggested we go to the market and choose some apples to put in his lunch. He looked distressed. I wondered if I made a mistake in his 'liking' them....until he explained the thrill of trading! *duh me* But....I had further discussions and he is willing to take BOTH cookies and an apple......and merely share his cookies with his friend.

I never considered lunch time such a social scene for him.......but I am seeing now that there is much more to his interactions with his 'friends'. btw....all the kids he sits with are special needs. They have known each other for years from different summer programs.

Mr M asked the other afternoon for an apple from the basket to take outside while he plays. He said, "I would like an apple as my supplies" <>

Happily, I report....I think we've found a nice healthy new food choice to add to his list (which is about 5 foods at this point).

Come celebrate an apple a day with us!

~DES~

3 comments:

chrisd said...

Does he have red hair?

You have to go and see my other blog...

LAA and Family said...

Fantastic! That is terrific that he has come to like eating something that is good for him, and that HE LET YOU KNOW! We'd be celebrating around our house in just the same way. Great picture! I have a redhead too, a baby girl.

My son is 8 and has always been a bit particular about his eating, but it has gotten worse in the last few months. I have started bribing him with sips of soda if he will eat something for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've been on a campaign to get my other sons to expand their menus beyond hotdogs and chicken nuggets, that's been more successful.

Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing yourself!

DES said...

Redheads RULE! LOL!

Yes...he's my flaming redhead. In a way, his Autism has helped him accept his redhair and all his 'differences'. He's so extremely proud of his red hair (cause very few have it). Mr M spouts off to anyone who will listen that he is 'special'. What more could one ask for ;)


Chrisd...I bookmarked your other link from email :D

Laa...I don't consider 'positive reinforcement' to get through the non-preferred activities bribery. Heck...I bribe myself daily! (maybe too much) Yep, food is largest challenge for Mr M. What is it with these kids and NUGGETS? ROFL!