Saturday, March 10, 2007

Geometry 101....aka Food Issues!

I thought I'd copy/paste my post on this subject from my other blog. I'm finding more and more that Mr M's food issues are not only taste and texture but very visual.

*from other blog* Was entitled: "Beating Invisible Meat"

As I've described before, Mr M's eating issues are probably the one thing we still struggle with advancements in (as far as his Autism). The rest are fairly 'functional'.
A bit of background:
Mr M eats about 3 foods a month...3 different kinds. He rarely strays from this....unless he's ill....then we usually 'switch back' to an old favorite and drop one of the "foods of the month".
I've struggled with Drs, Psychologists even Nutritionists on this topic and how it relates to his Autism. There are many co-morbid issues involved....OCD type behaviors, oral motor issues, sensory defensiveness and of course; Autistic Tendencies. (think Rainman with his fish sticks and eating with toothpicks!)
Anyway....about 2 years ago I got him to start eating bread. Just plain sliced white bread (then we threw in the 'good stuff' made with added Calcium due to low calcium levels). So, twice a week....he took a slice of bread to eat for 'lunch'....as well as his usual cracker thing (what ever he was eating that month). Then we moved to asking him to eat 2 slices....which ended up very 'close' to normal (the ideal sandwich). Kids asked him, "what kinda sandwich is THAT?" His reply....."Invisible meat!" *gotta love his comebacks*
I figured it was time for some REAL meat and introduced 'Carl Budding' lunchmeat over that summer. Ham only. One for its texture that resembled the Arby's Roast beef (which he DID eat at the time) and the fact that it was fairly consistant in its packaging. *** we've had issues with product packaging too****
So last year (7th grade) he then took a REAL half a sandwich to school twice a week. This took all summer to get him to that level. He bulked, but agreed. It was a rough start....due to my 'stupid' idea of cutting the half sandwich into half again. Remember those little triangle things Mom's did? Well...this was WRONG! That made it '2' sandwiches...not one half! *yea, you wonder why I have math issues????*
Now (8th grade) we are up to a half sandwich EVERY day for lunch. Always Carl Budding ham....always on thin white bread, crusts cut off.....and lunch meat trimmed exactly to fit the triangle bread.
Wonder what this is all about....don't you?
Point is...every day I make this 'artful' sandwich at 5:30 am. Mr R *the older brother* walks by today and says......"Kinda Monkish aren't ya mom?????" *gasp*
My only reply to the sarcasm *must be catching* that Mr R flung at me......
"Least we beat the invisible meat"
which of course.....got peels of laughter from this street smart teen.
Artfully yours,

~DES~

1 comment:

SpecialMom said...

My son is picky about his foods and usually has about 3-4 fave foods every month he will eat, nothing outside of that. Then he gets bored and moves on to a new favorite. None of his disabilities include mental disorders, although he is still young(3 yrs) but I was starting to think he may have signs of ADD..